Thomas Jefferson Middle School Guidance Counseling
House 2 Counselor
House 1 Counselor
School Counselors have an important and unique position in the school. We work hard to provide services to students, collaborate with parents/guardians and school staff and promote involvement and connection to the community. Counselors see students throughout the year by offering core guidance curriculum in the classroom. This curriculum consists of structured lessons designed to help students achieve the desired competencies and to provide all students with the knowledge and skills appropriate for their developmental level. At Thomas Jefferson Middle School we work hard to make sure students feel safe and welcome!
What do TJMS School Counselors do?
- We visit all of our Dubuque elementary schools in the early spring to assist with transitions from 5th to 6th grade.
- We provide individual student scheduling and 4 year planning for the 8th grade students as they get ready for high school.
- We teach large group guidance education lessons to students in grades 6-8 on a variety of topics from cyberbullying, time management skills, and Green Dot, just to name a few.
- We work with small groups of students who need support in areas of school success including behavior and study skills.
- A large part of our time is spent engaging in responsive services consisting of prevention and/or intervention activities to meet students’ immediate and future needs. Certain events and conditions in students’ lives frequently require individual or group counseling.
- We see individual students based on self, teacher (or other educator) or parent referrals.
We regularly engage in consultation with parents, teachers or other educators as student needs arise. Additionally, we refer students and their families to other school supports or community resources and provide opportunities for peer helping. Counselors at Jefferson engage students in advocating for themselves, their peers, and their school through Green Dot. Jefferson Counselors have an open door policy- we are available when students need us and welcome collaboration with parents!
What is Comprehensive School Counseling?
The Dubuque Community School District Comprehensive School Counseling Program is an integral part of the primary educational mission of the district. This program supports, facilitates, and encourages classroom instruction and student achievement. Our school counseling program is proactive and preventative in its focus. It assists students in acquiring and using life-long learning skills. More specifically, our school counseling program employs strategies to enhance academic, encourage self-awareness, foster interpersonal communication skills, provide career awareness, develop employment readiness, and impact life skills for all students.
The mission of the Dubuque Community School District is to support and develop the potential of all students by helping them develop personal, social, academic and career skills for the 21 st century.